We write + curate experiences.
We are André and Tenaya, a brother-sister writing (and drinking) team. We're the authors of The New Cocktail Hour: The Essential Guide to Hand-Crafted Drinks (Running Press 2016), the first book designed to bring craft cocktails into the home kitchen through food pairing ideas, tasting notes, and tips on how to make exquisite craft drinks part of daily entertaining. Our next book, due out in December 2016, is a collaboration with Turner Classic Movies. Get ready for classic cocktails paired with films and dinner ideas in TCM's Movie Night Menus.
Sprig+Spirit is our home base for the services we offer and for our ongoing recipe lab. In the lab, we share our health-conscious vision for drinks that are low in sugar and free of dyes, using herbs and super- foods as a base. We believe in bringing barware to the yoga mat.
Look for our new cocktail column in Organic Life Magazine starting in spring 2017.
André Darlington has been writing about the cocktail revolution from a front-row barstool for over a decade. He is a long-time contributor to Madison, WI’s alternative weekly, Isthmus, where he has been an award-winning restaurant critic and cocktail columnist. He is a frequent wine and spirits judge in the U. S. and Europe, and, when he encounters a well-stocked bar, cannot resist getting behind the stick.
Tenaya Darlington is a food writer, blogger, journalist, and professor in Philadelphia. She pens the popular cheese blog Madame Fromage and is the author of The Di Bruno Bros. House of Cheese (Running Press 2014), which may be the first cheese guide to suggest pairing cheese with cocktails. Her writing has appeared in Cooking Light, Edible Philly, Global Traveler, The Philadelphia Inquirer, and Culture Magazine.
- Los Angeles Times: "Everything you need to know about throwing a successful cocktail party is in this new book"
- San Diego Magazine: Writer Kelly Davis asks, "Is it odd to read a recipe book as if it were a novel?"
- My Magazine: We're on the "Last Sips" page
- The Philadelphia Inquirer: Craig Laban reviews our book
- Isthmus Newspaper: Siblings sip Sidecars over Skype
- NPR: Tom Ashbrook interviews Andre for an episode about "The American Cocktail Renaissance)
- Philly Voice: Wendy Rammuno writes about how to get a cleaner buzz with healthier cocktails, like our Maca-Rita recipe.
- Isthmus Newsaper: Our healthy cocktails turn heads in Wisconsin.
- Tone (WORT Radio Madison): Listen to Andre's interview about the birth of Sprig +Spirit.
- MNN.com: Our Chia-politan appears on the Mother Nature Network.
Services + Collaborators
- Books: Time Warner/Turner Classic Movies hired us to develop cocktails and dinner menus for classic films.
- Experiences + Presentations: We've worked with science festivals, design firms, and corporations to create interactive learning experiences.
- Recipes: We design signature drinks. Frontier Organics invited us to create a line of superfood cocktails for a New York media showcase.